Family Based Immigration

Family based immigration refers to the process of becoming a resident of the United States through family relatives. There are two parties in any family based immigration application; the sponsor and the beneficiary. In order to be a sponsor, you must be a:

  • A United States Citizen or Permanent Resident ( green card holder);
  • At least 18 years old to sign an Affidavit of Support
  • An occupier of a United States dwelling

The process includes filing Form I-130 as well as an Affidavit of Support claiming the financial ability to support a sponsored relative.

Beneficiary status is determined by two different categories of family based immigration visas: Immediate and Family Preference. Immediate Relatives are for close family relationships between an immigrant and United States citizen. There are no numerical limitations per fiscal year. Family Preference visas are for specific, more distant family members. These visas have numerical limitations per fiscal year.

Our firm assists in interviewing clients, completing the necessary forms and gathering the necessary documentation to comply with all the requirements.

Applying for Citizenship/Naturalization

An immigrant meeting certain requirements has a right to apply to become a full citizen of the United States by way of a Naturalization process. Naturalized United States Citizens enjoy all the benefits of a natural born citizen including the right to register to vote, to serve on a jury and to hold a United States passport. The process begins by completing a Form N-400 Application for Naturalization. You will also need to be fingerprinted and attend a biometric appointment. There are a number of qualifications for citizenship, and depending on your current situations you may have to prove the following:

  • Have been a lawful permanent resident with a green card for at least 5 years
  • Are 18 years or older
  • Have been physically present in this country for at least 30 months out of the past 5 years
  • Have been a permanent resident for at least 3 years and are married to a U.S. citizen
  • Served in the U.S. military under qualifying circumstances
  • Are able to speak, read and write in English
  • Have an understanding of U.S. government and the history of our country
  • Are a person of good moral character and adhere to the principles of the U.S. Constitution

My office will assist in gathering all the necessary information to complete your Naturalization Application and will prepare you for your interview with immigration officials and represent you at the interview.

In certain instances, Applications are denied due to common mistakes or not providing all the information requested. In those circumstances, you have a chance to appeal the decision by filing a Form N-336 requesting a Hearing. We will assist in this process to maximize your chances of gaining citizenship.

Our office has helped individuals from many countries including Jamaica, The Dominican Republic, Ireland, Liberia, Nigeria, and Guinea.

Fiancé Visas

When a United States citizen becomes engaged to a non-United States citizen with the intention to get married, a K-1 Visa is required for the non-resident to travel to the United States. The marriage is then required to occur within 90 days from when the non-resident arrives in the United States. Once the marriage takes place, the non-resident must then apply for permanent residency.

Our firm knows how stressful this process can be and we strive to make this a smooth transition by making sure all of the necessary requirements are met.